Monday, October 22, 2012

Beginner's Bible App for iPad

When Rocky finished his master's program last spring, we decided to get an iPad for him as a congratulations-you-survived-2+-years-of-papers-and-stress-while-teaching-and-having-a-kid  gift. It was the week after the iPad 3 came out, so we got a great deal on an iPad 2. :)

We've really enjoyed the iPad. So many free apps are available -- in fact, I don't think we've bought a single one yet. Abby enjoys it too, from a few cartoons in the morning to games perfect for her age.

The Beginners Bible by Zonderkidz was the best selling kids Bible while I worked at Family Christian Stores. When I heard Zondervan was creating a free iPad app based on this Bible, I thought it was a great opportunity to see what Abby thought of it!


The "Read" section includes 6 stories, with a voice reading the pages and highlighting words alongside an interactive picture page. Abby was more interested in playing with the pictures than hearing the story... but I guess that's to be expected from a 2.5 year old! (the app is geared toward ages 2-6)

The "Play" section includes 3 coloring pages, 2 puzzles, and 1 game that correspond to the 6 Bible stories. I have to admit, I found the background "music" pretty annoying. But that's easily fixed with the volume button on the iPad. ;-) I didn't see any settings to "turn off music". Abby is really into puzzles right now, so those were fun. Maybe as she gets a little older she'll do more than just scribble on the coloring pages...

What I didn't realize initially was that the free app only includes 6 of the 94 Bible stories, and 3 coloring pages, 2 puzzles, and 1 game. Additional 6-story packs are $1.99 each.

Overall, I'd say the Beginners Bible app isn't too bad for a free app, and $1.99 seems reasonable for additional story packs (although we're going to keep to our only-getting-free-apps goal). The graphics are great, but the music is slightly annoying. I think this would be a great supplement to the actual Beginners Bible book -- if your child is already familiar with that Bible, seeing and playing with the same pictures and stories would be fun.

--------------------------------------
I was asked to submit a review of the Beginners Bible app for Handlebar Marketing. I was not required to write a positive review, all opinions are my own. I may receive a copy of The Beginners Bible for my review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...