Friday, November 2, 2012

Five Minute Friday: Roots


Set your timer, clear your head, for five minutes of free writing without worrying about getting it right.

1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking.
2. Link back here and invite others to join in.
3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community..

OK, are you ready? Please give us your best five minutes on: Roots...


GO.

No one sees the roots of a tree or plant unless the tree or plant is pulled up from the ground. Roots can be big, roots can be small. But they always serve the purpose of finding water and sending nutrients up to the rest of the plant.

In a vegetable garden, roots can be the actual food we eat, such as carrots. Or roots can simply provide the sustenance to the parts of the plant we do eat, such as beans or corn.

Without roots, trees would tip over. Without roots, plants would have to get all their water from the air (or something!). And yet we never see them.

Each of us has roots. We often think of "going back to our roots" meaning childhood, where/when we grew up, our parents/family, etc. But thinking of roots in terms of our lives can also mean the core things that we believe or make us who we are.

Where are the roots in your life go to give you sustenance? What or who do you dive into to get nourishment for your body, for your soul? I know what I want my answer to be. I know I want to say I am rooted in Christ and in His Word. But lately my life hasn't reflected that priority.

STOP.


Want to see what came to other people's minds when they thought of "roots"? Click here to see all the link-ups!


5 comments:

  1. "Roots can be big, roots can be small. But they always serve the purpose of finding water and sending nutrients up to the rest of the plant." I love this reminder. That even if our current roots seem to be small and shallow we still need to put them down to be healthy. A good reminder for me, a traveling girl, to always plat myself where I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post and honest. Thanks for sharing. Come by and see my 'root' post.
    Have a great weekend,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm new to the mom blog world - I have decided to follow you, please check me out at: mommyinthemiddle924.blogspot.com.
    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...