Thursday, November 10, 2011

Crafts: making use of what you've got

It all started with a bulletin board.

  
Actually, no. It all started with that bag of items you see sitting on the bulletin board.

I'm Club Coordinator for the GEMS Girls Club program at our church.  Our club is for 1st--8th grade girls, who come twice a month for games, music, Bible study, crafts, service projects, and earning merit badges.

Over the last decade, the GEMS "badge book" has undergone some changes, with the activities being updated and the badges themselves being replaced with newer-looking badges. When I became Club Coordinator almost 4 years ago, I inherited a large container of old badges. They sat on a shelf in the church office for years. A couple weeks ago I took them home, trying desperately to think of what we could do with them. I hated to just throw them away (read: pack rat!!), but I had no ideas...

Enter the bulletin board. Two weeks ago the Cadet Boys' Club leader and I asked the property committee at church for a couple of bulletin boards and some wall space near the youth group bulletin board.  And we got it. So now we each had a bulletin board to decorate!

While Mike searched for camouflage fabric to cover his board, I stole a glance at my big bag of old badges... And one Saturday afternoon, I got to work at the kitchen table! The backs of the badges have a bit of paper to peel away and reveal a sticky back. About two hours later, here's what I had:


Tada! A beautiful bulletin board!! The push pins are able to fit between the badges, but they can also go through the badges if need be.

Here's a little secret though: I ran out of badges before I covered the whole thing...



Oops. Any clubs out there willing to send me another 70 or so old badges?? :)

So there you have it! A beautiful bulletin board that didn't cost me a thing! Now we can post our upcoming events and pictures and info about our club for people to see as they walk into the church!

What are some of your favorite projects have you done, using only what you had on hand?



P.S. If anyone is interested in hearing more about the GEMS program, let me know! I love talking about our club and the international GEMS ministry!!


7 comments:

  1. [...] EXCERPTED RECOMMENDED ARTICLE FROM- http://inthesweetsunshine.com/2011/11/crafts-making-use-of-what-youve-got/ [...]

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks really cool. Being a packrat is not such a bad thing after all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love your idea and that you show your little secret too :). I find it amazing that you could sit, peel off the papers from the back and stick those badges for like 2 hours...Haha, I imagine doing this with my kids: we all start up together, and after like 5 minutes, they'll loose enthusiasm and leave me there ending up doing everything myself. THAT is what I call crafting with the kids in my house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I joined your blog during the hop. Cool blog! I'm new and need followers. I would love it if you would check out my free printable crafts for kids blog and hopefully follow me too

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute and colorful! And you've got to love using stuff you already have on hand!~ Stopping by to follow from a Monday hop. Have a great week.
    Michelle
    Finding My Heartfelt Balance
    Making It from Page to Table

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute board! I just love it!

    Stopping by from the Alexa Hop. Thanks for joining in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Found you from the Alexa Drop Hop! I REALLY like the creativity :) I'm also now following via GFC and grabbed your button. Feel free to visit my blog!

    http://mylittlelilybud.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...