Friday, August 5, 2011

Five Minute Fridays: Whole

Let your words and your story breathe today. Take five minutes and just write without criticizing your words, yourself or your story. Just write without worrying if it’s just right or not.
  1. Write your words without editing them.
  2. Tell your readers you’re linking up here and invite them to come and share their unedited stories too.
  3. And most importantly, go visit, read, and compliment the person who shared right before you.
Today's prompt: WHOLE...

GO.

Jennifer Knapp wrote a song called Whole Again. (Please note I'm not interested in condemning or commending the artist. I've enjoyed her music for years. Just focus on the lyrics today, not on the person who wrote them.)

It's a very open, vulnerable, truthful song. It begins with the phrase "Daddy, daddy, do you miss me? The way I crawled upon your knee? Those childish games of hide-and-seek seem a million miles away..." Sometimes I feel like I've gotten old enough in my faith, I've gone out on my own, and I turn around and ask "Is there still room upon that knee?"

The chorus says, "If I give my life, if I lay it down, can You turn this life around, around? Can I be made clean by this offering of my soul? Can I be made whole again...?"

The answer of course is yes. God is the Father who is always there with open arms, ready to take back his wandering child. You may be spread out in many different directions, but God can take all the pieces and make you whole again.

STOP.

Not a very long post today, I found myself getting caught up singing the song. :) I guess that's what I love about Musical Mondays...

I couldn't find a non-live version of the song. :( The song on the cd is quicker, with drums etc. But this one will do. (now I feel like pulling out my Rocky's old Kansas cd and listening to the whole thing... :)

Daddy, daddy do you miss me.
The way I crawled upon your knee.
Those childish games of hide and seek
Seem a million miles away.


Am I lost in some illusion.
Or am I what you thought I'd be.
Now it seems I've found myself
In need to be forgiven.
Is there still room upon that knee?


If I give my Life, If I lay it down
Can you turn this Life around, around
Can I be made clean
By this offering of my soul.
Can I be made whole again?


Have I labored all for nothing.
Trying to make it on my own.
Fear to reach out to the hand
Of one who understands me
Say I'd rather be here all alone.


It's all my fault I sit and wallow in seclusion.
As if I had no hope at all,
I guess truth becomes you
I have seen it all in motion
That Pride comes before the fall.


If I give my Life, If I lay it down
Can you turn this Life around, around
Can I be made clean
By this offering of my soul.
Can I be made whole again?


Can I offer up this simple prayer.
Pray it finds a simple ear.
A scratch in your infinite time.
Not withstanding my fallings
Not withstanding my crime!


If I give my Life, If I lay it down
Can you turn this Life around, around
Can I be made clean,
By this offering of my soul.
Can I be made whole again?

2 comments:

  1. The answer of course is yes. God is the Father who is always there with open arms, ready to take back his wandering child. You may be spread out in many different directions, but God can take all the pieces and make you whole again.

    Loved your words above ! What a great song, thanks for sharing both the song and your reflections on it - I had never heard it before, it is beautiful !

    God Bless !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I haven't heard of this song who is singing it? I love it:) Thanks for sharing on the NOBH and for the kind comments on my blog:) My husband wants to go to NOrway soon to do more Viking things:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...